If you think direct mail marketing is a thing of the past, think again. The role of direct mail marketing is still an essential — and cost-effective — part of a marketing campaign and plays an important role in attracting and retaining your customers. Marketers are using mail in creative ways to get the best return on integrated campaigns. For example, your business can use direct mail to lead customers to your website or view product video on their smartphones.
Here are five things you can do to reduce the amount of postage you pay in your direct mail campaigns:
- “Presort” and automate your mail to receive discounted postage rates:
– First Class Presorted letter rates allow you to mail up to 2 ounces/piece for the same discounted postage rate. Postage can range from 38 to 43 cents/piece.
– Standard Presorted letter rates will move through the mail stream slower than first class mail but allows you to mail up to 3.3 ounces/piece for the same discounted postage rate. Postage ranges from 22 to 30 cents/piece.
- Mail using Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM) program offered by the USPS:
– A mail list is not required and you can select your geographic target areas.
– A postage permit is not required and you can mail up to 3.3 ounces
– Postage ranges from 16.7 to 21.2 cents/piece.
- Avoid non-machinable surcharges on your mail piece by conforming to USPS shape-based standards:
– Odd-shaped, lumpy mail and other non-traditional size letter pieces will incur at least a 21 cent surcharge/piece.
– Thicker mail pieces may incur a surcharge or be “bumped” up to a larger envelope postage rate.
- Run your database through National Change of Address (NCOA) process prior to mailing:
– This compares your addresses against the national postal database of individuals and companies who have submitted move notices.
– Allows you to update your mailing database to the new addresses and gives you the opportunity to eliminate moves which may be out of your geographic target areas.
– Reduces the number of returns or non-forwardable mail pieces which may result in additional postage charges.
- Use Priority Mail Flat-Rate Boxes to mail your packages:
– Boxes are provided by the Post Office free of charge.
– One flat postage rate with a maximum weight of 70 pounds.
– No additional Saturday delivery charges.
– Insured up to 50 dollars at no additional cost.
West Press’ talented staff is here to help you with all of your mailing needs. Contact West Press or your Account Executive at 520-624-4939 today.